Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Battlefield

One of my biggest battles I fight is with food.  I love food.  When we go on vacations we First- check if there is a man vs food episode on that city, and Second- google what the best places to eat are.  I just enjoy eating great food, is that so bad?  Here is where the problem emerges...I dont like to cook.  Well no, I dont MIND cooking...its the PLANNING of WHAT to cook, and going to the grocery store to buy the ingredients.  I hate coming home from work and standing in the pantry and thinking, "there is so much food in here...but nothing to eat for dinner", I then turn to the fridge, with the same outcome.  So what ends up happening is a little Jimmy Johns guy shows up at my door 20 minutes later.  PROBLEM.  For 2012 I decided we were going to go on a budget, and track everything we spend.  This has been really great and i've gotten a good idea of where most of our monies go...sadly its mostly goes to eating out.  Ok Ok enough about the issue, SOLUTION?? 

 I found THIS blog where a woman who was going to have a baby made all of these freezer friendly dinners, lunches and breakfasts ahead of time, and froze them for easy quick meals.  I decided I was totally going to attack this...however working 40+ hours a week really slims down the amount of time to spend cooking a billion freezer meals.  So instead of getting overwhelmed I decided to take it one meal at a time.  So first meal needed to be something easy, and whats easier than my favorite, 

BREAKFAST BURRITOS

 I was thinking that these are so easy I didnt need to post how I made them, but then I started thinking of all the "easy" things I dont know how to make and thought why not?
So here ya go!
 I like peppers and onions in mine, you can pretty much add any vegetables you like
just dice and Saute


I dont know about you, but cutting onions is bad news for my eyes.  I dont just tear up, I have full on non stop elephant tears...so this renders my sunglasses absolutely necessary while cutting the onions


Next add in as many eggs as you'd like, I used eight, but everyone has their own "egg to veggie ratio"  Also while eggs are cooking, I cooked up some bacon on the good old George Foreman


Cut up bacon and add to cooked eggs...then of course I add in some graded cheese


Then you just roll them up into tortillas....easy enough


Then wrap them nice and snug in either foil or wax paper, and freeze in freezer bag

I promise you these are delicious, and I was a little skeptical about how good they'd be once they were thawed, but they're still amazing!  Best way i've found to defrost is in the microwave for 2 minutes, wrapped in a damp paper towel. 

Its been so nice to be able to just grab one before I head to work, and has made it so Joel doesnt have to eat cereal every morning haha
This is my first step to saving money and eating better.  I know its not much but hey its a start right?  Next dilemma is lunch...

1 comment:

  1. Looks yummy! Try chewing gum when you cut onions, it's suppose to stop the tears.

    ReplyDelete